Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Random Day!

My currently-reading stack:

I was reading a sample of a book with a highly promising premise. Now I'm depressed, because a guy in the book just described his own grin as quirky and lop-sided, in passing, without humor or irony. No, I won't tell you what book it was. No, I'm not reading the rest.

BUT, I have a truly funny book to recommend.
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Genre: memoir

I've never watched the American version of The Office (loved the British version), but the title and cover grabbed me, and it was worth it. Kaling talks about everything from being bullied by the popular Senagalese boy in her high school class to accidentally breaking her best friend's nose during a play, only to have the producer force them back on stage to perform the last ten minutes for the horrified audience. She describes a guy as being really cute, in a "hottest guy in AP-calculus kind of way." READ. THIS. BOOK.

I'm now reading
Bossypants by Tina Fey
Genre: memoir

(Yes, there does seem to be a theme to my Random Day - two makes a trend on the internet, right?) I can probably count all the episodes of Saturday Night Live I've seen on my fingers, and I've never watched 30 Rock (though I keep meaning to). But something about Tina Fey really appeals to me, so here we are.





Also reading
Witch by Marie Brennan
Genre: fantasy

 I loved Warrior, so I have high hopes for this.



The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon
Genre: crossgenre fantasy/historical fiction


I've checked Amazon every day for a month now to see if someone heard my prayers and moved up the release date (yes, I'm silly like that. Sometimes dreams do come true). It took me two years to buy Outlander after first hearing of it, and another year to actually finish the first chapter. And then I devoured it and the next six books over the following month or so (I believe the shortest one is around 800 pages, so this was no mean feat), barely pausing for showers, friends, or sleep. After that I read all the Lord John books, of which this is the fourth. Lord John Grey is my favorite character of all time, of any age or gender, in any medium. I'll be featuring the Outlander series in its own post at some point. Let me just say these books have everything I love in fiction - science, history, magic, great characters, messed-up relationships, humor and brilliance. Mmm, yes please.

So there they are: past, present, and much-anticipated future. What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment